In another post, How To Be The Biggest Loser, I gave you seven reasons why Israel didn’t enter the promised land and showed you why too often we lose out on God’s blessings because we act like Israel acted. On the other hand, we can receive God’s greatest blessing for our lives if we will follow the example that was set by Joshua and Caleb. God intends for us to enjoy His fullest, which is the life of Christ, but we have to be willing to go in and possess it. It’s available for us but it’s our choice to receive it. So the question is how do I NOT become the biggest loser? Well here are six character qualities you need to possess in order to not be the biggest loser.
- Have a “different spirit.” Joshua, Caleb, and their families were the only Israelites who were able to enter into the promised land because they had a “different spirit.” It wasn’t a spirit of disobedience, grumbling, complaining, negativity, rebelling, etc. It was a spirit of certainty that God would do as He promised. For us this different spirit will look like the “fruit of the Spirit” in our lives: Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Meekness, Temperance, Faith (Galatians 5:22-23). When we have a different spirit, we can enjoy the blessings of God.
- See things as God sees them. God had promised that he was giving the land to the Israelites (Numbers 13:1). God saw that they could do it, but the people didn’t see it. Sometimes we have to see with our “spiritual eyes” and not with the physical. If God said it, then it is so and we can bank on it! Begin to look at your issues as God does. It may seem impossible and too big with the human eyes, but nothing is impossible for God!
- Be confident in God not self. When our confidence is in our own ability we will fail every time. But when we put confidence in God, “we can do all things, because Christ strengthens us.” Be bold and believe God! Quit trying to achieve greatness in your own ability and begin to trust in the ability of God!
- Obedience. It’s disobedience that will cause us to be the biggest loser when it comes the the promises and blessings of God. But obedience will open up the windows of heaven and God’s blessings will be poured out upon us!
- Fearless. With great risk, comes great reward! There are times, when God tells us to do something and we just have to be fearless about it! We have to be like Peter and step out of the boat and onto the water! How crazy is that? It was fear that kept all but Joshua and Caleb out of the promised land. But fearless men are laying hold of the blessing of the Kingdom of God. God’s Kingdom is advancing…let’s move with Him and press forward to receive the blessings and promises that God has in store for us.
- Follow God wholeheartedly. If you want to receive all that God has for you, then you must follow and love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. This means that God is your passion. The things of the Lord are your sustenance and life. You live for God. Jesus Christ is your life! And you desire God and his ways more than anything else. God’s ways become your ways. His thoughts your thoughts. That’s following God wholeheartedly!
It’s one thing to lose out on the promises, blessings, and rewards that God intended you to have in this life. But to be the biggest loser in the promise of eternal life is a fatal mistake. Don’t allow the blessings God intended for you to be enjoyed by someone else, simply because you rejected God’s promise. Tweet This
What about you? Have you been rejecting the promise and provision of salvation that God wants you to enjoy? This is your time to reclaim the blessings and promises of God and not become the biggest loser.
— Keith Fife
Listen to the podcast “Don’t Be The Biggest Loser”